Brief History of the LTMA
The Ligonier Township Municipal Authority was chartered on January 10, 1950. The original members of the board were:
|Robert J. Black
* Francis Smith was appointed Jan 1953 to fill a vacancy caused by the death of a former member.
Neilan Engineers of Somerset, PA were the Engineers of the project. Construction of the 17,000,000 gallon reservoir was started in May 1953. The construction cost of the reservoir was $67,000. The total cost of the project was $350,000.
The system remained basically the same until the slow sand filtration plant was finished in 1994. Slow sand filtration consists of filtering raw water directly through a biological mat called a “Schmutzdelke” and a three foot depth of sand. The slow sand filtration process has proven to be quite effective in controlling bacteria and giardia organisms as well as turbidity. It provides a simple, cost effective and long term solution for providing high-quality drinking water.
Copyright © 2017 - Ligonier Township Municipal Authority. All rights reserved.